Trinet is an Ethernet based network offering 1 Gbps user
connectivity in most buildings. Nowadays most computers have either
a built-in Ethernet adapter, a vendor-specific Ethernet dongle or
does not support wired Ethernet at all. In all cases traditional
socket-based adapter is not needed but if such is required for some
reason, Trinet recommends the following Intel 1 Gbps network
- Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter (PCI Express)
Other 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet network adapters should work as well, but Intel adapters have been quite robust and unproblematic.
Trinet recommends regular swiches instead of routers for sharing a connection between multiple computers if no wireless access is needed. Switches without 1 Gbps Ethernet ports should not be bought anymore, 1 Gbps ports are needed to get the full speed from the Trinet access connection.
We have no specific recommendations for switch models at the moment but the following are inexpensive choices:
- ZyXEL GS-105S v2 (10/100/1000 Mbps, 5 ports, 9k MTU, ~ 20 €)
- ZyXEL GS-105B v3 (10/100/1000 Mbps, 5 ports, 9k MTU, ~ 23 €)
- ZyXEL GS-108B v3 (10/100/1000 Mbps, 8 ports, 9k MTU, ~ 29 €)
- D-Link DGS-1005D (10/100/1000 Mbps, 5 ports, 9k MTU, ~ 20 €)
- D-Link DGS-1008D (10/100/1000 Mbps, 8 ports, 9k MTU, ~ 23 €)
- D-Link DGS-105D (10/100/1000 Mbps, 5 ports, 9k MTU, ~ 23 €)
- D-Link DGS-108D (10/100/1000 Mbps, 8 ports, 9k MTU, ~ 32 €)
- HPE OfficeConnect 1420-5G (10/100/1000 Mbps, 8 ports, 9k MTU, lifetime warranty, ~ 35 €)
- HPE OfficeConnect 1420-8G (10/100/1000 Mbps, 8 ports, 9k MTU, lifetime warranty, ~ 45 €)
Wireless routers are good for purposes where wireless access is needed or even required. Trinet has no resources to test and keep a list of recommended routers, but the following aspects should be considered when purchasing a new router.
- Ethernet WAN port (to the wall socket) is required and should support 1 Gbps.
- Ethernet LAN ports (for user devices) may be useful and should support 1 Gbps.
- Wireless radios should support modern standards which currently means "Wi-Fi 5" (IEEE 802.11ac) or better.
- A support for automatic software updates is recommended.
Category 6, 6A or 7 Ethernet patch cords with RJ45 connectors are recommended. Bad cabling may cause trouble getting the full speed (1 Gbps) or disturb the connection quality.
Places to buy
Places to buy network adapters, switches and cables can be found at hinta.fi.