Software for Aalto University students and staff
Aalto University offers free of charge software and licenses for Aalto students and employees via download.aalto.fi service. Software downloads requires authentication by using your Aalto user account.
- Microsoft Defender Antivirus (for Windows: a build-in antivirus and malware protection. Recommended antivirus software, should provide excellent protection for most of the use cases.)
- Sophos Home for PCs and Mac (free, registration required)
SSH client software for Windows:
- Putty (free)
X server software for Windows:
- Xming (free)
Please note that Linux, BSD and macOS operating systems have native support for SSH and X Windowing and do not require any third party software.
Other public software mirroring services
- nic.funet.fi (nic.funet.fi, various software mirroring services provided by CSC/Funet)
Hall of Shame: software reported causing issues with network connectivity
The following installed 3rd party software or operation system features may cause issues with network connectivity. If you're using any, please try to disable each temporarily and test again. In some cases you may need to uninstall 3rd party software and reboot the system to remove all software components affecting performance.
- Windows: AVG Free antivirus for Windows 10 (frequent high latency spikes)
- Windows: Avast Free antivirus for Windows 10 (frequent high latency spikes)
- Windows: Malwarebytes for Windows 10 (IPv6 blocked)
- Windows/Mac: "Bluetooth" and/or "Location Services" (high latency spikes or interruptions)